Happy New Year! (I realized I didn’t say that yesterday). Today is my final year-end wrap up post and it looks ahead to 2011 a bit at the end with some goals. This is one of my favorite posts because I love stats and figuring all of this out was really fun for me. It is my year of reading in numbers. And if you missed it, I posted my favorite books of 2010 yesterday).
Books Read: 76 (up from 42 last year)
Pages Read: 18,214
Audio Hours: 286.7 (just under 12 whole days!)
Average Pages per Book: 325
Average Pages Read per Day: 50
Books Acquired: Somewhere between 100 and 150
Female Authors: 49
Male Authors: 27
New (to me) Authors: 47
Most Read Author: JK Rowling (7)
Young Adult: 28
Middle Grade: 6
Contemporary Fiction: 32
Short Story Collection: 2
Social Issues: 2
Graphic Novel: 1
Science Fiction: 1
Rereads: 7 (Just Harry Potter)
Longest Book: The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (819 pages)
Shortest Book: The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Leo Tolstoy (134 pages)
Longest Audio: The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (30 hours)
Shortest Audio: Stardust by Neil Gaiman (6.5 hours)
Library books: 43 (yikes!)
Books from my collection: 33
Average Rating: 4.18 out of 5
1800s: 3 (*hangs head in shame*)
2010 Goals – How’d I do?:
- I want to read more adult literature than young adult/middle grade. While I love YA/MG books, I felt like I got a little distracted from other books in 2009. So it doesn’t matter if it’s one book more or 30 books more, I just want to read more adult literature than not. [Final count: 42 adult, 34 YA/MG]
- I’m aiming for 20% of my books to be classics. That’s a little better than I did in 2009. [Boy did I fail this one].
- And I’m aiming for 15% of my books to me nonfiction/memoir v. fiction. I’m trying to broaden my reading horizon. [Only 7% 🙁 ].
- Specific authors: Margaret Atwood (never read); Isabelle Allende (never read); Kurt Vonnegut (haven’t read in awhile). [And Margaret Atwood remains unread once more. As well as Allende].
- Specific books: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld; The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein; David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (my one daunting read for the year) ; Finish the last 5 Betsy-Tacy books; The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharto. [Wow. I didn’t finish any of these. I did read two more of the Betsy-Tacy books. I think specific book goals are not good for me].
Five goals in 2011:
- Read more during the week. I do most of my reading on the weekend but there is no reason that I can’t read for 30 minutes or an hour every day.
- Keep up with Goodreads. I’m going to just start from this point on and really try to use it.
- Read more of my own books. I read a lot of library books this year. I’d like to balance this out a little.
- Along those lines, limit myself to two books on hold at once at the library. I hate when all 10 of the books I have on hold come in on the same day.
- Use audio mostly for nonfiction and rereads. I enjoy these audiobooks the most and I really want to focus a little more on nonfiction and rereads in general.
Do you have any reading/blogging goals this year? Were you surprised by any of your stats?