I know everyone loves the end of year lists, but I personally like this post the best. I like looking back and seeing what my reading year looked like. So maybe this post is mostly for me, but I hope a few of you enjoy it as well. You can skip to the bottom if you just want to see my goals for 2012.
Books Read: 93 (up from 76 last year)
100 books wasn’t really my goal, but when I saw it in reach, it unofficially became one. However, the pregnancy threw my reading for a loop and my numbers fell drastically the last three months of 2011 (it’s a sad day when reading makes you nauseous). All in all, I am happy with 93 and it is still my best year ever.
Pages Read: 20,264
Average Pages per Book: 337.7
Average Pages Read per Day: 55.5
Longest Book: Habibi (672 pages)
Shortest Book: Our Town by Thornton Wilder (114 pages)
Audio Hours: 354.9 (almost 15 days!)
Average Length of Audiobook: 10.2 hours
Average Time Spent Listening to Audiobooks per Day: 55 minutes
Longest Audio: The Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukerjee (20.8 hours)
Shortest Audio: Earth, the Audiobook by Jon Stewart (3.6 hours)
Female Authors: 67
Male Authors: 30 (2 books had both a male and female author)
New (to me) Authors: 57
Most Read Author: Jasper Fforde (6)
Young Adult: 33
Middle Grade: 2
Contemporary Fiction: 29
Other Fantasy: 9
Short Story Collection: 3
Other Nonfiction: 3
Graphic Novel: 2
Library books: 38
Review Copies: 23
Books from my existing collection: 22
Purchased in 2011: 10
Average Rating: 4.06 out of 5
2011 Goals – How’d I do?
- Read more during the week. I do most of my reading on the weekend but there is no reason that I can’t read for 30 minutes or an hour every day. [I did alright at this one in early 2011. Not so great the second half.]
Keep up with Goodreads. I’m going to just start from this point on and really try to use it.[Done!]
- Read more of my own books. I read a lot of library books this year. I’d like to balance this out a little. [Fail. Fewer library book but more review copies.]
Along those lines, limit myself to two books on hold at once at the library. I hate when all 10 of the books I have on hold come in on the same day.[I did pretty good with this one.] Use audio mostly for nonfiction and rereads. I enjoy these audiobooks the most and I really want to focus a little more on nonfiction and rereads in general.[All of my rereads were audio and I read a lot more nonfiction.]
- Aim for reading a print and an audio a week.
- Write reviews within 5 days of finishing the book.
- Read more backlist and classics. Less emphasis on new releases.
- Read more of my own books.
- Catch up on my series.